Thursday, October 9, 2008

With regards the second presidential debate, I thought it was the same ole same ole. I thought that there was not the kind of passion that one might really feel if one were truly concerned with the economy or with America. I thought that the dig about the Hair Transplant, with regards to Biden, was cheap, and I think that McCain's "folksiness" comes across as very snide and mean-spirited. I am surprised how little these two guys have true passion, conviction, or the sort of fire that might make either one of them a great president. I feel no awe at either of their existence on the stage or at all. There are, indeed, men like this. And, when Barack Obama first landed on the stage, back during the 2004 Democratic convention, I was awed. I am afraid these two men have been so altered and watered-down over the course of this ultra-marathon of a campaign that they're truly afraid to convey their visions for each of their presidencies with any sort of authenticity or truth. I don't know what to say. I was underwhelmed. All three of these debates have been draws, two presidential and one vice-presidential -- and if there have been winners at all, it surely has been the result of a TKO -- technical knock out. Nobody has even really laid a finger on the other. It is truly appalling to me to see this sort of cat and mouse so close to the elections. Would someone just take off his glove and please challenge the other to a bona fide duel already?

No comments: